What packages do you use for data processing?

• 19 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

What software/packages do people use to access/use/process/visualize Planet data?

I have done most of my processing either in QGIS, or in python, where I have found rioxarray to be a very useful python package for just about all of the above, but I am still learning all the packages out there that could be useful.

What other python packages do you use and why? I am also interested in knowing if people use R (and if so, which libraries are most helpful). 

Does anybody use Google Earth Engine? Any tips?

I recently learned about the RSAGA library, but don’t know anything about it...does this work with planet data?

(I also saw this post on datacubes, but am really interested in seeing what people are using for planet data at all, whether it requires large time-series datasets or not!)

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Riley Balikian Hi..I’m still fairly new to using Planet data and use it mostly for teaching and some research. I noticed a lot of persons here like yourself use Python and some GEE. I use ArcGIS Pro for most of my applications.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

What software/packages do people use to access/use/process/visualize Planet data?

I have done most of my processing either in QGIS, or in python, where I have found rioxarray to be a very useful python package for just about all of the above, but I am still learning all the packages out there that could be useful.

What other python packages do you use and why? I am also interested in knowing if people use R (and if so, which libraries are most helpful). 

I recently learned about the RSAGA library, but don’t know anything about it...does this work with planet data?

(I also saw this post on datacubes, but am really interested in seeing what people are using for planet data at all, whether it requires large time-series datasets or not!)

Hi,

I think this really depends on the kind of analysis you are interested in. I usually use MATLAB for processing the imagery data. Also, ACOLITE is very helpful for atmospheric correction of Planet data particularly for aquatic applications.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @Riley Balikian 

Planet data can be used in a variety of application dependent on your use case. We have created plugins for ease of use on QGIS ands ArcGIS. You can also ingest imagery directly into GEE using our orders API (if you have a paid account with us). 

Regarding GEE, if you can expand upon your use case, i can post some tips for using planet imagery in GEE. 

Regarding R, I have listed below some of the libraries i have found helpful when working with rasters. 

library(raster)
library(tidyverse)
library(sf)
library(rpart)
library(rpart.plot)
library(rasterVis)
library(mapedit)
library(mapview)
library(caret)
library(forcats)
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

I think this really depends on the kind of analysis you are interested in. I usually use MATLAB for processing the imagery data. Also, ACOLITE is very helpful for atmospheric correction of Planet data particularly for aquatic applications.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Is there a specific toolbox or command/way of reading in geotiff data in Matlab that you use?

I had switched over to python in part because it seemed a little easier/more flexible than Matlab, but I am also certain that there are ways to handle multiband imagery data in Matlab I may not be aware of.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey @Riley Balikian 

Planet data can be used in a variety of application dependent on your use case. We have created plugins for ease of use on QGIS ands ArcGIS. You can also ingest imagery directly into GEE using our orders API (if you have a paid account with us). 

Regarding GEE, if you can expand upon your use case, i can post some tips for using planet imagery in GEE. 

Regarding R, I have listed below some of the libraries i have found helpful when working with rasters. 

library(raster)
library(tidyverse)
library(sf)
library(rpart)
library(rpart.plot)
library(rasterVis)
library(mapedit)
library(mapview)
library(caret)
library(forcats)

This is very helpful! Thank you!

I am still trying to figure out the exact methods and capabilities of GEE before I get too much in the weeds here. I can be in touch specifically about that in the future, but even your comment here led me to the Planet School site where there is more information, so I appreciate that!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for sharing these resources @Pooja Pandey