Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

EO Browser and Sentinel Playground are great. I have a question about their map layers:

In EO Browser, there is some map source that includes topography and water features, but not most other OSM data. As a result, when looking at natural environs, like The Sierra-Nevada mountains in California, I easily get lost: there are few labels on anything, or trails.

The Sentinel Playground uses a richer set of labels, so more features are marked, but I can’t (or don’t know how to) toggle the imagery so that I can see it after the satellite data loads. So I do an awkward practice of panning rapidly and hoping for a slow load so I can get a sense what I’m looking at.

My current workaround is to have a second mapping program open and then to feed coordinates directly into EO Browser so I don’t get lost, and carefully use lakes and topography data to figure out what I’m looking at. Sometimes I’ll also load a GeoJSON to help.

Is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you for your time.

Dear,

thanks for your feedback. We indeed use two different background map providers in EO Browser and Playground both using a slightly different set of maps/settings.

For your described use case you could

• in EOB: Try the location search (if you are not using that already)
  • in Playground: You can disable the satellite imagery layers in the top right corner by clicking on the small satellite and then the selected layer.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Daniel

Nice tip, for Playground. It never occurred to me that the radio buttons had a “deselect” state.

And yeah, I already use location search in EO Browser, though I’ve found coordinate paste more handy given I have a decent computer companion map.

Thanks for considering my question. I’ll probably switch to playground for the map layer.