Solved

PlanetScope Surface reflectance

• 17 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I have a PlanetScope Surface reflectance Product. Is the AnalyticMS_SR.tif file is scaled surface reflectance in Digital Number ? and How do I convert the DN to surface reflectance value?

icon

Best answer by idilgumus 18 August 2022, 20:03

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks for your question. I conferred with our support team.

The Surface Reflectance (SR) product is provided as a 16-bit GeoTIFF image with reflectance values scaled by 10,000. No need to convert from DN to SR values.

For clarity, you might revise Planet Surface Reflectance Technical White Paper, pp. 2. Available at Surface Reflectance Products here

Hope this is helpful, if you have additional questions let me know. Have a nice day!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@idilgumus Thank you for this information.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello,
I am now trying to compare the reflectances of Planet images with spectrometer data. If I divide the DN values by 10000, for the case of vegetation in the NIR I get values of about 0.3, which seems to me low for theoretical values in spectral signatures, assuming a total reflectance as 1.

Can you tell me if I am assuming something wrong?

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello,
I am now trying to compare the reflectances of Planet images with spectrometer data. If I divide the DN values by 10000, for the case of vegetation in the NIR I get values of about 0.3, which seems to me low for theoretical values in spectral signatures, assuming a total reflectance as 1.

Can you tell me if I am assuming something wrong?

Thanks for your help

Hi,

If you are using the top-of-atmosphere (TOA) data, you need to convert the DN values to reflectance. To do so, there are conversion coefficients for each band in the metadata. But for the surface reflectance product, if you divide the DN values by 10,000 that should give you the reflectance in [0 1] range.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hola,
ahora estoy tratando de comparar las reflectancias de las imágenes de Planet con los datos del espectrómetro. Si divido los valores de DN por 10000, para el caso de la vegetación en el NIR obtengo valores de alrededor de 0.3, lo que me parece bajo para valores teóricos en firmas espectrales, asumiendo una reflectancia total de 1.

¿Puedes decirme si estoy suponiendo que algo está mal?

Gracias por tu ayuda

Hola,

Si está utilizando los datos de la parte superior de la atmósfera (TOA), debe convertir los valores de DN en reflectancia. Para ello, existen coeficientes de conversión para cada banda en los metadatos. Pero para el producto de reflectancia superficial, si divide los valores de DN por 10,000, debería obtener la reflectancia en el rango [0 1].

Gracias Milad, 

Estoy usando "analytic_8b_sr_udm2", este dato según los docs, es dato de reflectancia BOA, solo habría que dividir por 10000. Pero me genera dudas por las bajísimas reflectancias resultantes de la vegetación en el NIR después de hacer el conversión.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hola,
ahora estoy tratando de comparar las reflectancias de las imágenes de Planet con los datos del espectrómetro. Si divido los valores de DN por 10000, para el caso de la vegetación en el NIR obtengo valores de alrededor de 0.3, lo que me parece bajo para valores teóricos en firmas espectrales, asumiendo una reflectancia total de 1.

¿Puedes decirme si estoy suponiendo que algo está mal?

Gracias por tu ayuda

Hola,

Si está utilizando los datos de la parte superior de la atmósfera (TOA), debe convertir los valores de DN en reflectancia. Para ello, existen coeficientes de conversión para cada banda en los metadatos. Pero para el producto de reflectancia superficial, si divide los valores de DN por 10,000, debería obtener la reflectancia en el rango [0 1].

Gracias Milad, 

Estoy usando "analytic_8b_sr_udm2", este dato según los docs, es dato de reflectancia BOA, solo habría que dividir por 10000. Pero me genera dudas por las bajísimas reflectancias resultantes de la vegetación en el NIR después de hacer el conversión.

Thanks for the clarification. The NIR reflectance of vegetation is normally high but this also depends on the season and the status of vegetation. If you haven’t done it so far, you may compare the reflectance with other data which are collected close to the Planet data acquisition time (Sentinel-2, in-situ spectroradiometry, etc.).  

Badge +1

Thanks for your question. I conferred with our support team.

The Surface Reflectance (SR) product is provided as a 16-bit GeoTIFF image with reflectance values scaled by 10,000. No need to convert from DN to SR values.

For clarity, you might revise Planet Surface Reflectance Technical White Paper, pp. 2. Available at Surface Reflectance Products here

Hope this is helpful, if you have additional questions let me know. Have a nice day!

I have also same query. The downloaded surface reflectance dataset’s range is not between 0-1. How should I rescale it. In metadata file, coefficients are given for each band to rescale from DN to TOA radiance and DN TOA reflectance. But there is no information regarding surface reflectance.