Solved

Basemap Quads Vector Map

• 25 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This question was originally asked April 12, 2022 20:43 by user Shengbiao Wu.

Hello,

I want to search and download basemap quads. My study area has many small patches. I need to search them from Mosaic Quads too many times using AOIs to get the download URLs. Is there any quad vector map (e.g. shapefile) with tile IDs like other satellites (e.g. Sentinel's Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) and MODIS' Sinusoidal Tile Grid) available for the users? Using such a vector map, users can determine their target quads easily just by overlapping their study area map with the quad vector map. Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by elyhienrich 25 July 2022, 17:22

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Keon Vazir replied on May 09, 2022 at 14:18.

Hi Shengbiao,

Thank you for your post.

Have you looked into using either QGIS Planet Plugin OR ArcGIS pro plugin. I believe you can add a vector layer and download quads on a world map using those applications. QGIS is free and may be a good place to start if you are unable to use ArcGIS. The Planet Plugin allows you to download the Basemap quads associated with your Planet Account. You don't have to keep reloading the AOI layer on these applications either because once you upload it to QGIS the layer will stay there until manually deleted by the user.

It also may be easier to use the CLI tool rather than the Basemap API to download a large batch of quad downloads. More information on how to use the CLI can be found here: https://planetlabs.github.io/planet-client-python/cli/examples.html. 

Please let me know if I have answered your questions. Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Good to know this. The power of the plugins!