Solved

Creating DEM or DTM data

• 10 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Dear

I have a problem. I have an academic account and they guided me that I am eligible for 5,000 km2 of 3m data with Planet's Basic Research Account. I want to create a DEM or DTM file from the Planet Explorer, but I do not know how to do that. I have some questions:

1. Does Planet Explorer be able to create DEM or DTM data? If yes, how could I download it or create a TIF or txt file and download it?
  2. My study case is in “Ponzano di Civitella del Tronto” in Italy. Does it cover this area?

Thanks for your response,

I look forward to hearing from you,

Sincerely,

Amir Farshadfar

icon

Best answer by matt.ballard 11 April 2024, 18:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Amir-

Planet Explorer does not offer the ability to create or download DEM data. In order to create surface models from Planet data, like PlanetScope or SkySat, you would need to use another stereo photogrammetry software to create this yourself.

We do offer a few DEM products through Sentinel Hub - or you can access the same ones through Copernicus Browser.  You can learn more about what DEMs are accessible in Sentinel Hub here for Copernicus and Mapzen DEMs.

Badge +1

Dear

Many thanks for your guidance. Because the most important thing for us is the height of trees in this area. Could I send an excel file with 60-70 defined points for you and you give me the height of these points? If not, do you mean that it cost and I should pay for that?

In addition, are there any websites where I could define some of the points for the area and they give me the heights of those points with high accuracy? Do you know these websites? 

We have surveyed this area by drone data in 2022, but the problem is the trees that I could not evaluate the ground heights blow the trees in these areas. We just need some points under the trees to evaluate the height of ground. Do you have any suggestions for that? 

Sincerely,
Amir Farshadfar

Badge +1

Dear

Many thanks for your guidance. It seems the cost for a high resolution 1.0 m or less is very cost effective even for the DSM or DTM data which would never be included in my budget, and since the most important thing for us is the height of trees in this area. Could I send an excel file with 60-70 defined points for you and you give me the height of these points? If not, do you mean that it costs and I should pay for that?

In addition, are there any websites where I could define some of the points for the area and they give me the heights of those points with high accuracy? Do you know these websites?

We have surveyed this area by drone data in 2022, but the problem is the trees that I could not evaluate the ground heights blow the trees in these areas. We just need some points under the trees to evaluate the height of ground. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Sincerely,

Amir Farshadfar

Badge +1

Dear

Maybe I did not describe my problem very clear. I do not specifically need the DSM or DTM data from the study area.

If I could have the z coordinates of the study area, even for just some very specific points, but with a good resolution (3.0 meter or less resolution), it would solve my problem. I am not specifically needed the height of trees and vegetation, I just need the z coordinates of some limited points, even by considering the tree and vegetation. Maybe providing such data to allow for point measurements could be cheaper than the cost of DSM/DTM. Could you guide me or have any suggestion?

I think you are now more be aware about the problem and what we need now. Just the z coordinate even for very limited points in the study area.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Sincerely,

Amir Farshadfar