Calling all Educators! How do you use Planet in the classroom?

• 26 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi fellow Planet Educators! I’m in search of finding ways our Education and Research community uses their Planet access in the classroom. Feel free to share your successes, challenges, and ideas for teaching the next generation of Earth scientists using Planet imagery! 

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

One way you can bring Planet into your classroom is by introducing our new platform, Planet University! Planet University is a great introduction the world of remote sensing and the power of near daily imagery. Check it out!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have been a proud member of the education and research program since April 2017 and have been using Planet in the classroom ever since. The students use Planet in two labs. The first is identifying imagery suitable for analysis to fit a series of problems. These range from evaluating urban areas to agriculture to forestry. They have to consider seasonality questions, temporal questions and available data. The problems force them to identify Landsat, Sentinel, and Planet data for the given topic to identify the appropriate resolution. For their term project, they select two of the problems and complete them. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have been a proud member of the education and research program since April 2017 and have been using Planet in the classroom ever since. The students use Planet in two labs. The first is identifying imagery suitable for analysis to fit a series of problems. These range from evaluating urban areas to agriculture to forestry. They have to consider seasonality questions, temporal questions and available data. The problems force them to identify Landsat, Sentinel, and Planet data for the given topic to identify the appropriate resolution. For their term project, they select two of the problems and complete them. 

Awesome example, thank you for sharing!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Austin Stone  I use Planet’s image and university resources in all of my GIS  and remote sensing coursework and in my own and my student’s research projects as well. There are multiple applications and these are extremely valuable resources due to the higher resolution data afforded to us. I usually start off by asking them to find imagery related to some local environmental problem to be addressed. This semester that issue was primarily the extended amount of flooding we have been having and also the associated landslides.