- How can I retrieve the data from the competition that Planet hosted on Kaggle?
The Kaggle competition found here. Distribute all of its data through a torrent file, please note you will need a Kaggle account to download the torrent found here. You can also use the Kaggle api with the following command: kaggle competitions download -c planet-understanding-the-amazon-from-space
- As an E&R user can I get access to the Planet Fusion product?
Unfortunately, Planet's E&R program does not include access to Planet Fusion products. If you would like to purchase access to it, Planet's Technical Support is happy to connect you with Sales in order to do so. Unfortunately, SkySat Data and access to Tasking Dashboard isn't part of Education & Research Subscriptions. All products included in the E&R program as a basic user are:
PlanetScope (Ortho Tile, 3 Band PlanetScope Scene, 4 Band PlanetScope Scene)
RapidEye (RapidEye Ortho Tile, RapidEye Basic Scene)- Data available till March 2020
Landsat 8 Scene
Sentinel-1 GRD Scene
Monthly and Quarterly Basemaps
Technical Support (Bug fixing code or assisting with coding is not included)
Planet Help Center
- What is the term/tenure for my Basic Education & Research Program? How can I extend it?
Until 2019, E&R accounts did not have a specific end date and were therefore valid as long as their users had access to their organizational email address. Since then, Planet switched over to a fixed term of one year after initially receiving access to an E&R account. After that, access will expire and users won't have data access anymore.If your university affiliation is still active, you may log a ticket with support and request for your account to be extended.
- What is the typical timeline & eligibility for getting enrolled under the Basic Education and Research Program?
- User must be associated with educational or research organization.
- At present, Planet is accommodating applications from students, researchers, technical staff, and faculty at recognized universities. Nonprofit and government employees are not eligible.
- Must register using organizational email id only, personal mail ids are not accepted or entertained.
- The use of data under this program is solely for the Content solely for non-commercial research and/or education, scientific purposes.
Timeline: The approval process for getting enrolled under Basic Education and Research Program may take up to 3 weeks & users have to produce supporting documents or proofs as & when asked by the Planet team for verification purposes
- How can I register for the Education and Research program?
You can register for the Education and Research program here.
- Does the Education and Research program include SkySat imagery and access to Tasking dashboard?
Unfortunately, SkySat Data isn't a part of E&R Subscriptions. Therefore, if you wish to get access to SkySat Data- it would need to be purchased. Tasking Dashboard (TaDa) is a new user interface that allows customers to request SkySat collections. We can not provision access to TaDa for E&R Users. If you wish to get access to SkySat Data and TaDa, please contact us here
- Unable to access imagery after registering for Planet's Education and Research or the NICFI Program.
Please log a ticket here so we can help resolve the issue.
- Can I be registered for both Planet's Education & Research Program and NICFI program?
Users are welcome to sign up for the NICFI Data Program or E&R Program but if you have previously registered for one of the programs you must register with a different email than the one associated with the existing Planet account. As E&R users must have an email id that is associated with either an educational or research institute. We don't have such a clause for NICFI users.
- What is the RapidEye Science Archive (RESA)?
Through a partnership with the German Aerospace Center (DLR), German-based researchers are eligible to access more data as well as different data products including high-resolution SkySat data.
- I am a member of the Education and Research program and need more than 5,000 square kilometers per month. How should I proceed?
Our team has developed the Departmental and Campus licenses, which supports 15 & 100 TB of download per year, respectively, and are priced competitively for academic researchers. Please let us know what your needs are via this form.
- I represent a university. Can my whole institution apply for access?
Our team has developed the Campus license, which supports the whole university ecosystem. Please let us know what your needs are via this form.
- Can I teach a course with a Basic Account?
Absolutely yes! At present, each user needs to apply for and secure their own account. In the future we plan to offer additional resources to educators. If you have a compelling classroom and curriculum that needs more centralized access, please get in touch via this form.
- As a member of Planet's Education and Research program how do I cite Planet data in my work?
From a concept in our garage to operating the largest fleet of Earth-imaging satellites, many people have invested time and energy in developing and enabling access to Planet’s unique data feed. Please cite Planet when using our imagery and tools. To cite Planet data in publications, please use the following:
Planet Team (20xx). Planet Application Program Interface: In Space for Life on Earth. San Francisco, CA. https://api.planet.com. (where xx denotes the current year)